How to Kill a Rock Star - Tiffanie DeBartolo
This started out really promising. Then DeBartolo committed the first cardinal sin of writing in the first person – she switched character points of view. Not only that but it was without warning and it took me two paragraphs of not understanding how Eliza could possibly be saying what was going on before I figured it out. Honestly, if you can't faithfully tell a story in the first person without switching points of view, use the third person. Which, was another issue. There was Eliza's point of view in the first person, there was Paul's point of view in the first person (being told through a recorded diary) but then she'd switch to other character's points of view in the third person. It made for a very confusing, choppy and amateur read. I started off really liking Eliza. She had some good lines, especially the one when she confronted the woman her boyfriend had run off with (though it made it hard to believe the way she let her boss speak to her and spread rumors about her later on). I liked that there was some foundation to the relationship between Eliza and Paul. We weren't just told they were in love and expected to believe it. Though I wish there was some more focus on their relationship so we could have understood just how much in love they were. Paul was absolutely adorable. He was so sweet and loving toward her, even when they weren't together yet but he wanted to be with her. I may or may not have swooned a little every time he called her "[his] betrothed." It was so incredibly cute. As the plot unfolded I could see what Eliza was going to do coming a mile away, but I was hoping she wasn't going to be that stupid. Well, we all know hoping doesn't get us anywhere. It was exceedingly stupid that she did what she did simply because she was unwilling to face her fear. I still can't wrap my head around destroying a relationship and breaking your fiancé's heart because you're too chicken to deal with your issues or to find a reasonable, rational way to deal with the impasse. What she chose to do was paternalistic, condescending and demeaning. She acted as though she knew what was best for Paul and what he may have wanted was completely irrelevant. She even said, "Paul doesn't know what he wants." Actually, no, I think he made what he wanted pretty clear. It just wasn't what she thought he should want."I covered my face and shook my head, a dual action born out of self-loathing. Not even when I’d slit my wrist had my self-loathing been so strong. But I hated myself—first, for what I’d done to Paul, second, for what I was doing to Loring, and third, because I had been so unbelievably wrong about everything."That quote is a perfect summary of that entire plot line. She should hate herself. I certainly hated her. It was also incredibly mean and careless for her to use Loring the way she did knowing how he felt about her. She completely took advantage of him. He was a very sweet and caring guy and didn't deserve to be railroaded by her. Neither did Paul, and I really don't understand why Eliza felt she had a right to want to hate him. Every time she started in on that I wanted someone to slap her – hard. The time jumps in the book were also jarring. It was difficult to keep up with where they were in time as it went very quickly. Suddenly they were together for a year and I blinked a few times, not understanding how they got there that quickly. Also, I disliked the best friend/sister-in-law. I agree with her that she and Michael had made a deal and it should be honored, but she was so . . . I'm not sure, smug? about it. It just seemed that she didn't care that her husband was giving up his dream, as if it didn't affect her at all to make him do so. And on a personal level, the fact he was doing it so she could to go to law school made me have a minor stroke. Also, I'm not sure why DeBartolo nor her editor did basic research, but unless they recently changed their program Columbia Law doesn't have mid-year enrollment. Vera wouldn't have been able to start until the next fall, not January. That's a minor complaint, but it bothered me nonetheless.The end was utterly ridiculous on so many levels. It didn't make any sense. Why Paul chose to do it, how it was executed, how he planned to live out the rest of his life, his manager's role in it, Eliza's brother's role in it, and how no one was able to figure it out besides Eliza and the random bar tender. I really wished that Eliza had gotten on a plane and it crashed in Alanis Morissette style irony, and Paul and Loring found better women, but her and Paul's reunion was very sweet. It was too easy though. They got back together and they were immediately engaged again and no real talking happened before then. They did finally get into it (though it was mostly glossed over) but I find it weird that they were immediately back to where they were before she destroyed them as soon as they saw each other again.There were some things I did appreciate. I was hoping she wasn't going to get into 9/11. It became clear that time was jumping fast so that there was no way to avoid it, but I like that instead of dwelling on it as a cheap ploy to illicit emotion from the reader, it happened, it effected the characters, and they moved on. I also liked that it wasn't a perfect Happily Ever After. Yes, they got their HEA, but it wasn't on the back of getting everything they ever wanted. Finally, there were some really good quotes on the sorry-ass state of music. It was nice reading this knowing someone else agrees with the way I feel.I really wish this book would be heavily edited to take care of the major problems, because there was a lot of potential in this story and I really wish I could have loved it.