Going Home (3-in-1) - Nora Roberts
Unfinished BusinessGood little story about a world renowned musician, Vanessa Sexton, who returns home after her father's death to the mother she hasn't seen or heard from in 12 years. Not only does she have to deal with understanding why her mother let her go and didn't go after her, she has to deal with her high school love, Brady, who she thought unceremoniously dumped her the night of his senior prom. I'm glad there was time spent on Vanessa's relationship with her mother. I just didn't like her mother much. I really liked her relationship with Brady. The pacing was somewhat fast but for the most part the way they came together, got to know each other again, and reignited their love was well done and sweet. Vanessa's internal conflict was understandable and not overdrawn. Although I did kind of want to smack her around every time she denied her health issues. I ended up buying this twice, once in ebook form for twenty-five cents and in this compilation and I enjoyed the story enough that doesn't bother me (not that $1.25 truly would, haha.) 3.5 stars.Island of FlowersThis one was a rage-fest from beginning to end. And super similar to the premise of Unfinished Business (down to similar actions by the deceased parent). Laine's mother took her from her father when she was seven. He never heard from her again even though he had been writing and sending presents. Cut to 15 years later and Laine goes to visit her father to get to know him and get some answers after her mother's death. From the second she gets there she was treated like a gold digging scam artist. Everyone told her 'it was about time she showed up'. And she got a ridiculous amount of hate from Dillion, her father's business partner. He acted as though she used her father for money while never contacting him, and money was the only reason she showed up there. I was livid throughout most of this book because who in their right fucking mind thinks it's the child's responsibility to maintain and salvage a relationship with her parent? No one tried to understand what she had been through. No one questioned why her father (a man with an airport, by the way) didn't jump on a plane to Paris to find her and find out why his seven-year-old child was angry with him (if that's what he thought). Why did she have to gain his trust and love? I started throttling the book on this one it was angering me so much.The whole point of Laine's trip was to get to know her father but for some reason very little time was spent with him. Most of it was her getting kicked like a puppy by Dillion yet falling in love with him within a couple of days even though he treated her like absolute crap. It was ridiculous.Even though he performed a couple of assaulting kisses early in the book I was still blindsided by Dillion being rapey in the end. I'm not sure why he made the assumptions he did but I especially don't understand why that prompted him to get incredibly close to raping her. And of course the resolution in the end was way too easy and an info dump that didn't feel like it resolved anything. Actually, I amend my $1.25 statement above. If I had ended up buying this book twice, even for such cheap prices, I would have been angry. 1 star.Mind over MatterI really liked this story. Even with the paranormal elements. I felt all of the characters were well drawn and likable even when they were being frustratingly stubborn. The pacing of the story was damn near perfect. We got to see the evolution of David and A.J.'s relationship and I could easily buy their feelings for each other. It was so easy to root for them. The super eighties settings and clothing notwithstanding, I wouldn't mind reading this again. 3.5 stars.