Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
Everyone knows I have no fondness for first person and especially POV switching in first person, both of which this book does with a little bit of stream of consciousness thrown in for good measure. Thankfully, the narrative wasn't juvenile at all as first person can often be. I think Flynn constrained herself too much with the first person and made mistakes. For instance, trying to hide things for a later reveal in the first half didn't make much sense as we were in Nick's head. I think it actually ended up making "the surprise" all the more obvious to me. However, she made great use of extremely unreliable narrators. It might be the best use of that device I've ever read. Even knowing they're unreliable, and reminding myself of that, I still managed to get sucked in and manipulated by what I was reading. I honestly didn't focus on the POV switching at all. It was seamless and almost necessary in the way Flynn screws with the minds of her readers.The writing was compelling. I kept reading through the first fifty percent even though I was hating it so much. I hated Nick with a passion. It was taking too long to get to what I thought was coming. I think I started getting an ulcer. But I kept reading because I needed to know what happens. The twist was exactly what I wanted and at fifty percent I was in love and the pace of the story picked up tremendously. I don't even know what to say about the last 35 percent, really. It's a hot mess. Not necessarily in a bad way. It's the way the writing drags you into the seriously fucked up minds of these characters and their seriously fucked up actions. I'm not sure what I can say about the plot that won't spoil anything. But I will say that God damn I love me a fucking evil genius. I've seen some reviews that give a little bit of what happens and I don't want to do that because it takes away some of the impact of the book. I don't think any of the the twists/reveals were particularly shocking or surprising, but they did resonate within the framework of the story. The best description of this book and its characters is pretty much summed up in this quote:"You two are the most fucked-up people I have ever met, and I specialize in fucked-up people." I want to say more, but it would really just become nonsensical spoiler-filled ramblings. I think this is a book that requires post-reading discussion.I don't know what in the hell to rate this. I don't know what I feel about this story. Especially the ending. I think I'm going to take my feelings and go sit in a dark room for awhile. And you're just going to have to read this book to figure out if you would like it or not. I can't help you out there.