The Dark and Hollow Places (Forest of Hands and Teeth) - Carrie Ryan

Day 09: A book you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving.

Okay, so I wouldn't go so far as love with this one, but it is a really good fit for today's challenge.

My review of The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan.

"Yes, that's right, four stars! Trust me, no one is more surprised than I am. The first two books caused me epic rage. I'm talking a couple of notches off Twilight Saga rage. I was really torn on even giving this book a chance, but I was so confused by the summary I figured I'd read it just to see what happens."

And I ended up enjoying the book. The heroines of the first two installments were just terrible. I hated the both of them so much I would have been good with both being devoured by the zombies. They were selfish morons, who were so bad in this respect they got people killed. Especially Mary in the first book. If she is the face of what a feminist female character in YA looks like, we are all in serious trouble. What a useless little twit. ('OH. MY. GAH. I MUST SEE THE OCEAAAAAAAN.' Holy shit, shut up!) The plots of the books made as little sense as possible and were obnoxious to follow. The undefined lapse of time between the first and second books in particular.

With this third book, however, we get a much better heroine. She's more relatable and nowhere near as stupid as the first two. The love interest in this book was so much better. (He was in the second book and an idiot there on top of the real love interest. Or the love triangle? I don't know, it sucked.) The writing was better and the plot was much more compelling (though there is a need to suspend disbelief big time). I also enjoyed figuring out exactly where they were before it was revealed.

In the end it was a complete surprise that I liked this book when I disliked the first two so much.