The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

Day 18: A book that disappointed you.

Well, this one is easy. There are a lot of books that have disappointed me, but this is a big one.

My review of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

"This book was probably my biggest literary disappointment of 2011. Once I found out that it wasn't YA I was so excited to read it only to be let down in a massive, cartoon-balloon-popping-and-dragging-the-character-all-over-the-room sort of way. I think you can see the embodiment of that in my status updates.

. . .

The circus itself was amazing and the only real redeeming value to this book.

. . .

The biggest problem with this book is the complete lack of plot. Morgenstern quite obviously had the visual of the night circus but then realized that there probably needed to be something to fill the 350 other pages so she slapped something together.

. . .

The synopsis leads you to believe it's going to be this amazing duel of magic but it's entirely off screen and completely passive.

. . .

Basically, the book reads like a series of vignettes strung together through the circus. In the beginning they seemed to have no real connection. At the end, even though they are connected through tenuous story lines, there are no real conclusions, no real explanations, just, 'well, this happened.' I honestly cannot explain what happened at the end of the book. The status of certain characters and what it means for their futures completely eludes me. I don't think I ever will understand. It all made for a pretty, imaginary place with nothing to fill it."