Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World - Lev Grossman, Tiffany Reisz, Rachel Caine, Jen Zern, Heidi Tandy, Rukmini Pande, Samira Nadkarni, Wendy C. Fries, Jolie Fontenot, Randi Flanagan, Tish Beaty, Cyndy Aleo, Christina Lauren, V. Arrow, Brad Bell, Andrew Shaffer, Darren Wershler, Anne Jamison, Jules Wilkinson, R

ETA: WTF? I'm not sure why this didn't work like a normal reblog and post the name and link of the original poster. =/  So, Reblogged from The Reading Perusals of Rose Summers:

I'm just going to quote this whole passage:

"Many others, however, remain intensely, passionately opposed to the practice of publishing fic—most vocally, perhaps, among the ranks of the Twilight fandom that itself helped launch the current trend. The most vehement opponents to publishing fanworks quickly investigate and label any new publication on Goodreads lists and on Amazon, posting damning one-star reviews noting the publication’s fic origins. One such comment on Tara Sue Me’s The Submissive reads, “A lot of people want to give this woman a pass (and are coming up with hilarious bullshit to excuse it—pathetic hypocrisy at its finest) because they like her. She’s no different than any of the other morally bankrupt people engaging in this unethical, repugnant practice.”

Another simply reviews the self-published Wake, a reworking of a popular fic in which cancer patient Edward struggles to come to terms with his ailing body’s sexuality, with the tags: “cheap-ploys-to-make-a-buck, rewritten-fanfiction, dont-even-bother, gonna-be-sick, no-just-no, not-cool, not-if-i-were-dying, severe-side-eyes, shouldn-t-be-published, wtf-is-this.” Even by the standards of Twitter and Tumblr (highly expressive rhetorical climates), exchanges on this issue stand out. Close friendships and working partnerships years in the making have ended, bitterly."

Way to point a target on people's backs, Jamison.  =/

Andrew Shaffer kinda does this too in his essay, but he does have some interesting points to make.

******************

OA:

Yeah, that's my review of The Submissive. And I 100% stand by what I wrote. Strong words and all. That's how strongly I feel and I won't back down from it. I'll take that target because, you know what? I've been consistent on my views about P2P. I'm not trying to profit off people in any way here like those writers and Ms. Jamison. I also really appreciate her taking my content without the courtesy of asking permission while not even affording me the opportunity to contribute to this little "project" of hers. Of course, my opinion is unwaveringly clear on this issue as is her agenda with this book and they directly contravene.

"Close friendships and working partnerships years in the making have ended, bitterly."

Some people don't like being stabbed in the back, used, or those who lie, cheat and steal to get ahead. Shocking.

Source: http://rosepetals1984.booklikes.com/post/691719/well-this-is-kicking-the-hornet-s-nest-